List of thesis (master/bachelor) topics
Author: Roman Ďurikovič
What I would recommend is this:
- Go through all the papers you can find starting here: Ke-Sen Huang's Home Page
- Find some that really really really interest you.
- Read those papers, especially the "Related Work" to get an overview of that area
- Then look at the conclusions section and in particular "future work." That will give you some ideas of possible thesis project.
Bachelor or Master thesis Topics (Appearance Models of Computer Graphics and Vision):
- Model and render a human eye. For variety, you can also render a cat's eye (or any other that shows strong retroreflection).
- Model and render a snowman.
- Render Venus de Milo (download the model) with a skin model that includes subsurface scattering.
- Render a glass of milk.
- Fit the Hanrahan-Krueger model to measured skin BRDF (data provided).
- Develop an appearance model for glaze and render some examples.
- Develop a reflection model for car paint.
- Develop an appearance model for a butterfly wing (including iridescence).
- Model and render a standard-issue Gates Building office chair. Make it look realistic at all levels of detail (for fields of view from 1 square cm to the whole thing).
- Write a system that allows you to take a geometric model and an anisotropic BRDF and "comb" the direction of anisotropy. Use this to render a horse.
- Develop a self-shadowing theory for an anisotropic rough surface.
- Build a virtual gonioreflectometer and use it to simulate interference on a CD. Use this to render a CD as accurately as possible. Compare with reality.
Master thesis Topics (Physical based Animation):
- Non-photo realistic motion blur from video, Igarashi laboratory
- Making Paper Craft Toys with User-defined Pattern Silhouette Shape, Igarashi lab, tamasoft.co.jp/
- A Toolkit for Prototiping Interactive Robotic Applications, Igarashi Lab, LEGO Mind storm, Microsoft Robotics Studio, petercallesem.com
- Physical based animation of flowing objects.
- Toto je podporny modul pre nas dynamicky system simulacie vody. Medzi objektami plavajucimi na vode moze dojst ku kolizii tak isto moze dost ku kolizi objektu a prekazkou. Vstupom budu parametre zo symulatoru v presne definovanom formate a vystupom bude nova pozicia objektov a dalsie parametre sposobene koliziou s vodou.
- Simulation and visualization of soap bubble dynamics.
- Here you will do quantitative and qualitative extensions of existing software. The bubble dynamic is simulated by a particle system. Bubble destruction and animation of large foam should be done. We should be able to simulate bubbles in the smoke or gas fluid controlled by parameters.
- Sparkling effects simulation in metallic paint including visualization.
- The motivation here is to develop the industry standard of a paint model. Some research was done on this topic. We will try to improve the Ershov 2001 paper. We can not see very bright sparkles using his (Intergra) software. First step is re-implementation of Ershov sparkle model and then improve it to make sparkles more realistic. Good sparkling effect was produced in case of Japanese lacquer by Durikovic SCCG2003 but that method can not be used for non-planar surfaces.
- Real-time rendering of BRDF with hemispherical representation.
- Use the hemispherical representation of DRBF (compression). First step will be to make the rendering of Lambertian surfaces (diffuse surfaces), using hemisphere basis functions. In second step we need to extend to FULL BRDF, this will be yours new contribution. Hemispherical compression is more natural for BRDF and it is also a hot topic. Your implementation can be done on CPU or GPU.
Revision as of 10:35, 24 September 2019 by Durikovic